1. Oklahoma Central does not sell member information.
We do not sell member information. However, you may see our name mentioned in junk mail because your lender’s name becomes public once the title company files the property lien with the county.
2. How did they get my address?
When your deed is recorded, the following information becomes public record:
• Name (and the names of any co-borrowers)
• Lender’s name
• Loan amount
• Property address
Anyone can see this information, and individual local businesses often use the data for marketing services.
3. How can I stop the junk mail?
There’s nothing you can do to prevent the basic information above from becoming public record, but there are ways you can decrease the amount of mail. You can cut mail back significantly by visiting any of these sites.
- OptOutPreScreen.com is the joint site of the 4 biggest credit reporting industry companies: Equifax, Experian, Innovis and TransUnion. Use this site to opt out of offers for credit or insurance. You can opt out for 5 years or permanently, and there’s no fee.
- DMAchoice.org is the official site for the DMA (formerly Direct Marketing Association). It allows you to choose categories of mail you don’t want to receive, such as credit offers, catalogs, and magazine offers. There’s a $2 fee and your selections are good for 10 years.
- CatalogChoice.org is a not-for-profit organization offering an opt-out service for catalogs and some other types of junk mail. They have over 9,000 titles in their database. You’ll need to register on the web site and the service is free, but they appreciate donations.
- PaperKarma.com is an app-based service for Android and iOS devices. It claims to be the largest do-not-mail registry in the U.S., with over 100,000 mailers in its database. This site offers a free trial and then you can choose a monthly, annual, or lifetime subscription.
4. How can I tell if it’s junk mail?
We’re here to help you. Call us or stop by any branch and we’ll help you determine if it’s legitimate mail or junk mail. Contact us at 918-664-6000 opt. 8 or visit oklahomacentral.creditunion/Locations for a list of branches and hours of operation.